Monday, March 7, 2011

A week in St. Johns

I can't believe that I have been gone from Texas a week. As I think about it, I get tears, but we are staring a new adventure in our lives here in St. John's. The kids are LOVING this place and it helps that there are lots of neighbor kids to play with.

The night we landed here it was cold and wet and I wondered where the heck we were. Honestly the home sickness hit and felt like I was so out of sorts. New place, no food, just out of my element. But Jess ran to town and grabbed McDonald's for the family. I was amazed at the price of our meal. $27 dollars for two burgers, fries, 1 happy meal, and then an order of nuggets. WOW! Can you say everything is expensive around here. I will def. be cooking every night. After full tummies we got in our Jammie's and headed to bed. The boys in there new rooms. Drake choose the football room, Carter the skateboard room, and Myatt has the monkey room.

Our first official day here stared with a morning blizzard. I woke up at 3:30 to nurse Myatt and the load snow blower came roaring by. Never had I ever heard that before. Everyone slept well and all the kids wanted to do was play in the snow, but it was way too windy and snow was blowing everywhere. We had to make it to the grocery store that morning since we didn't have food and that afternoon Jess had meetings.. So off we went. I think there were like 5 of us at the local store because of the crazy weather. But we made it, got the pantry stocked, which made for a happy mom. After lunch Jess left for meetings and since I couldn't stand the begging anymore I bundled the boys and let them play in the snow. In and out they went but they had fun and at the end of the day once the wind calmed down the neighbor kids came down and finished the snowman that drake started. So our time here stared out okay.

The weather got beautiful and we really started to enjoy this place. The boys have played their hearts out in the snow, staying hours on end. We got some hockey sticks and a goal since Drake is determined to learn to play hockey. And he stays out playing hockey till it is time to come in for dinner. Drake is also enjoying emailing his friends. That is keeping him busy at night as it takes him a while to type and a few letters have been sent without mommy checking them. I can only imagine what he said. LOL.. Carter is keeping up with the big kids since we really haven't found many friends his age. From what our neighbor says is that there are a ton of kids out here, but I guess they are inside in the heat, but not my two boys. Myatt is doing great and getting big. He is grabbing at toys, and doesn't like to be without his mommy. He is smiling all the time and started laughing at the boys. He is starting to mimic us and say OH and is so cute.. He makes us melt.

Friday night I got to met up with a few expats at a place call the The Gypsy Tea Room. I took a cab from home, and that made me nervous. I have never been in a cab by myself, but the guy was very friendly and reassured me that everyone on the island watches out for each other. That was nice to hear. The food was amazing at the restaurant . It was so nice to get to meet some neat girls around here. Also to pick there brains about things to do around here with the kids. I hope to definitely do it again soon. Plus Jess did great with the kids alone, even if they were still all awake when I got home.

Saturday was our exploring day. We got to drive around and see some beautiful places here. We also went to a local place to grab Drake some ice skates and a helmet since they ice skate during gym class. We grabbed lunch at a place called Boston Pizza and it was so yummy. I guess we are going to have to get used to Pepsi because so far that is what we are finding at a lot of places. I felt like I won the lottery on Sunday when I found a bottle Diet Dp at the local grocery store since they don't carry can Diet Dp. We also went to Signal Hill Saturday. Which is a historic site that celebrates the rich communications and military history of Signal Hill and sits amidst a spectacular view of St. John's and the sea. Signal Hill was the reception point of the first transatlantic wireless signal by Guglielmo Marconi in 1901, as well as the site of harbour defences for St. John's from the 18th century to the Second World War. It had amazing views, and is a place we will visit again.

Today is Monday and it was Drake's first day of school. It was gym day so he got to wear his gym clothes to school. But we had a tons of stuff to pack. A pair of gym shoes to stay there a pair of snow boots and then the coat. Man I don't know if I will ever get use to all the stuff. I was nervous when leaving him because I felt out of sorts, but he did so well. I could tell he was nervous but walked straight in and got to work. I am praying that he finds a buddy and has a wonderful day. This afternoon we are meeting with a school for Carter. He was made this morning cause he didn't get to go to school like Drake did. Hopefully this school will be the one and they have an opening that works. From what I heard you have to put your name on waiting list around here many years in advance. But we didn't have that sort of time, so we will see what we get...

1 comment:

Cammie said...

the pics are beautiful Stace!!!!